Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Upgrading Vim in old RedHat 9

This post is still about upgrading old applications in RedHat 9 to newer version...

This time it was upgrading my favorite text editor: Vim. First, I removed all the default Vim installation. I unchecked Vim from System Settings - Add/Remove Applications. However, when I run 'rpm -qa | grep vim', I still found two Vim components, which are vim-common and vim-minimal. I just removed them from my system with these commands: 'rpm -e vim-common' and 'rpm -e vim-minimal'.

I downloaded the latest Vim, the version was 7.0 from http://www.vim.org (ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unix/vim-7.0.tar.bz2). I unpacked the package, went to ./vim70/src directory and run:

make
make install

Voila... Vim 7.0 has been successfully installed. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home