Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Upgrading Gaim in old RedHat 9

I have a rarely used computer which then I decided to install Red Hat 9 on it. The installation itself was pretty smooth. When I started to login to the system, I realized that many applications were outdated.

I know that Red Hat 9 is quite outdated itself. :)

Gaim (http://gaim.sourceforge.net) which was installed from Red Hat 9 installation CDs was very outdated, the version could not even be used to login to Yahoo Messenger service. So, I browsed to http://gaim.sourceforge.net to grab the latest version. At the moment, the latest stable version is 1.5.Fortunately, there are rpm package for RedHat 9.

I uninstalled gaim from the command line by using this command: rpm -e gaim

After downloading the rpm package, I believed the installation was going to be easy, but I was wrong. I typed 'rpm -ivh gaim-1.5.0-0rh9.i386.rpm' to install, but then I got depedency error, that a file called libgtkspell.so.0 was needed. I searched for the file in rpmfind.net and downloaded this rpm: ftp://rpmfind.net/linux/dag/redhat/9/en/i386/dag/RPMS/gtkspell-2.0.9-1.rh9.rf.i386.rpm.

I installed the rpm which provided libgtkspell.so.0 and then I installed the gaim package. This time, the installation run smoothly without complains. :)

I used gaim successfully yo login to Yahoo and AOL network.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home